Health Axis Group, a leader in healthcare technology, is searching for a Database Administrator to join our SaaS product team here in Tampa, FL. The Database Administrator is responsible for operational strategy, architecture, and oversight of data management solutions for HealthAxis.
This position monitors the work of the production database administrators (DBAs), and ensures communication with development DBAs, Infrastructure, Users and internal application developer communities. The position reports to the Director of IT and partners with Security, Infrastructure, Data Analytics, and Application Development to provide an effective, secure and repeatable change management processes within the software development lifecycle (SDLC).
Excellent verbal communication skills, technical abilities, and superior leadership ability are required to communicate with both the DBA group and the user community.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership, direction and mentoring to the Production DBA team
- Develop strategic goals and standards for data platforms in cooperation with department managers and key stakeholders.
- Work with business units and application development teams to understand application requirements and guide the DBA team in the development of secure, scalable, and high-performance databases.
- Provide oversight of resolution to performance problems in production, development, and quality assurance cycles.
- Create and validate the backup/restore and retention process for business continuity, disaster recovery, and archiving.
- Assist in schema improvements to support data security policies using encryption, views and security architecture to minimize the profile of sensitive data.
- Establish security processes in SQL Server to support and protect the auditability of code changes in the SDLC.
- Establish and support change management process for granting access to production and development systems.
- Develop capacity-planning process to monitor and forecast database resource utilization.
- Create and ensure schedule and process for updating SQL Servers to latest service packs and cumulative security updates.
- Establish processes to analyze key performance metrics using native SQL Server utilities and 3rd party tools.
- Provide 24/7 incident response to database alerts form production monitoring tools
- Provide technical support to the DBAs in a 24/7 production environment.
- Implement enterprise-class data-platform architecture across the organization and balance the need for access with security and performance requirements.
- Tune and index queries, database settings and schema to optimize SQL Server resource utilization.
- Monitor the replication of production databases to ensure availability of real-time data to reporting data stores.
- Implement and monitor data-archiving strategies to provide historical data access in non-production environment, and to satisfy internal long-term archiving policies.
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years’ database and SQL experience
- 5+ years’ experience in 24/7/365 production database
- Professional experience with Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014/2016 and above, SQL Server Reporting Services, Analysis Services, and Integration Services
- Strong knowledge and support of High Availability solutions, including Failover Cluster Instances
- Solid to expert knowledge of SQL Server architecture and security models
- Experience with SQL encryption technologies
- Professional experience in healthcare or financial services industries preferred
- Strong focus and desire to automate DBA tasks
- Must be detail-oriented and security-conscious
- Experience in designing solutions in both a physical and virtual server environment.
- Ability to quickly diagnosis performance issues and develop and implement a resolution
- Fluency with appropriate tools including SQL Management Studio, Performance Monitor, and other SQL Server management tools, as well as the entire Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience in the forecasting and design of system and storage requirements as well as implementing the architecture of those requirements (SAN Space, active/passive service architectures, etc.)
- Demonstrates refined written and verbal communication skills, promotes open communication, listens effectively, and builds strong partnership networks that result in consistent forward momentum.
- Possesses a logical mindset and is skilled at solving challenges in a directed, methodical manner, analyzing the current issues to envision creative solutions
- Takes initiative to complete critical tasks, especially in team settings with dependencies on other people and teams.
- Works well in a growing, fast-paced, startup environment
- Must have the desire to work on new, innovative, cutting edge technologies
- Challenges the status quo and generates creative solutions.
- Collaborates and openly seeks and shares information across teams and departments
- Has a solid technical background and continues to expand experience and skills with the latest features and functionality